
“Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream. Cannery Row is the gathered and scattered, tin and iron and rust and splintered wood, chipped pavement and weedy lots and junk heaps, sardine canneries of corrugated iron, honky tonks, restaurants and whore houses, and little crowded groceries, and laboratories and flophouses. Its inhabitant are, as the man once said, "whores, pimps, gambler and sons of bitches," by which he meant Everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said, "Saints and angels and martyrs and holymen" and he would have meant the same thing.”
John Steinbeck, Cannery Row
Who am I to argue with famous author John Steinbeck who grew up 30 miles from Monterey and Cannery row and had a love affair with this area, gathering much of the material for his books here (this has always fascinated me in itself as I also grew up near here, and have read his books).
Monterey is in a word...beautiful. The shops, the Cannery Row wharf, the aquarium, the ocean, the sea lions, the coastline, the quaint and beautiful town. I think John Steinbeck would describe it differently in real life, and as you walk around you can't help but see why this author loved it here.
While Kurke was living his dream, the boys and I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. We remember when this opened in 1984 - the year we got married. It was extra exciting because the Packards - of Hewlett Packard - donated a huge amount to make sure it came to fruition. We took Ryan and a new baby Brittany there a few years later and now all these years later we visit again and find it to be just as amazing! It is literally voted the top Aquarium in the U.S. every year. Amazing programs, amazing things to look at and experience. It's not just for kids. We had a great day there and Taylor and Trent both thought it was awesome-sauce!!
Jelly's!! I could not stop taking pictures of these. They are so delicate and move so gracefully. Beautiful!





7 comments:
Squeee! We will be there next week, staying with Lauren! I've never seen Monterey, so I'm super excited!
Wow, that looks incredible. So pretty. I really need to go visit there, it sounds absolutely dreamy? And your photos are incredible!
Looks like so much fun. You look so relaxed. Gorgeous pictures!
Too much fun!!!! Love all the pictures. What a dream vacay!
Love the Tshirt I OWN THIS TOWN
I've missed your blog. I love your writing style, I love your adventures. The more I see your photos, the more I realize we are alike (I as well LOVE feet photos!). Loved the history you gave about Cannery Row and Monterey.
Someday, I hope to take my boys to experience this part of California, I for one want to see the Jellyfish!
BTW... Love the shadows of your hubby and boys on the beach! (I just may have to steal your quote about family travel... I LOVE it!)
That post can be summed up in one word...JOY! Love it!
You are hitting all our favorite places, too.
I like Carmel even better than Monterey.
=)
Post a Comment