Wednesday, January 2, 2013

{2nd Day Of The New Year}

Nobody can do for little children
what grandparents do. 
Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust
over the lives of little children. 
~Alex Haley


I talked with my grandparents yesterday afternoon.  My grandmother (Farmar - Norwegian Grandma) is not doing so well. Grandpa is quite lost without her.


I am so grateful we were all able to stop and visit on our way home from our family reunion in August.  She was thrilled to see all the kids and her new, and only, Great Granddaughter Eleanor.  She loved holding her and wanted this picture.

A few days before this picture/visit she had fallen and broken a couple ribs and was in alot of pain (and she still wanted to hold the baby and has a smile!).  When we left I found out she went to the hospital the next day.  They released her after 2 weeks but then she fell again injuring and breaking a couple of vertebrae in her back.

She had to go back to the hospital for quite awhile - slow healing on those old bones - but really wanted to come home and she did fall again.  Not breaking anything but reinjuring.  She is 91 1/2 years old and the healing is slow and painful - her back hurts alot and she had to go to a nursing care home.

She told me yesterday that it was a nice place and they took good care of her.  I asked her if she was eating and she explained to me that she really didn't have any appetite and had lost a lot of weight.   Definately not what I wanted to hear.  She told me that Grandpa would come each day and try and get her to eat and she wished something sounded good (maybe a good sign?).

She got to come home on Christmas day for 4 hours and laid on the couch.  She has always been so strong and the one who does everything - the original hostess, cook, family organizer, and  party planner (I think I know where I get it from),  that my Aunt said it was a strange Christmas. 

I am not sure how much time we have left with her.   Grateful to have had my grandparents so long.

6 comments:

Heffalump said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heffalump said...

I am sorry to hear about your Bestemor. That picture is going to be a family treasure.
My Grandma died when I was 14 and I miss her incredibly. I hope you are able to have more time with your Grandma.

gigi said...

This is a great picture and I'm sure she just loves it. You have a precious family.

Susan Anderson said...

My mom is 85, and my kids and I are treasuring each day.

=)

PS. Loved that little verse about grandparents. Thanks!

karen said...

That's exactly how I felt about my grandma, who moved on almost 2 years ago. I really tried to treasure each fun time and see her a lot. When the time came, I found I was able to let her go and feel happy for her.

Brittany H said...

Let's go down for another visit.