"When you come to the temple you will love your family with a deeper love than you have ever felt before. The temple is about families."
Richard H. Winkel
"To you who are worthy and able to attend the temple, I would admonish you to go often. The temple is a place where we can find peace. There we receive a renewed dedication to the gospel and a strengthened resolve to keep the commandments."
Thomas S. Monson
Thomas S. Monson
I have really gotten out of the habit of going to the Temple. Not having one nearby for almost a year and a half I did not go like I should. It is really not much of an excuse - I mean how spoiled am I that I have to have one 10 minutes away to go regularly when in some parts of the world people have to travel quite a ways and still make sacrifices just to go.
Last year we had a general authority speak at a Stake Conf. awhile after the Meridian Temple was announced but nothing had been done on it.
I cannot find my notes but in essence he said that we need to prepare ourselves for the Temple and show the Lord that we really want it. If we don't attend the Temple we already have and take our names to the Temple how exactly are we showing the Lord that we deserve or need another Temple? I don't have the greatest memory but that talk, those words, will not leave my brain. It is still taking time for the Meridian Temple to get off the ground - I don't want to be one of the reasons why.
Every morning I pass the Boise Temple on my way to work. As I come around the curve in the highway I can see those 6 spires shining with the mountains in the background and the Angel Moroni standing tall on top. Sometimes it is lightly snowing, other times they shine out of a light fog glowing, and in the early fall and spring the sun is coming up and giving the whole building a warm and peaceful glow - every single day it is a beautiful sight. Why am I not there as much as I possibly can be?
So, I reexamine my life. What are my priorities? Is there something I do each day, or each week that is not as important as giving 3 hours at the Temple? Well the list is long of things I could and should give up. I can most definately give 3 hours a week in service at the Temple!
The Young Women's theme this year is "Stand In Holy Places" - I cannot think of a place more holy on the earth!
So that is one of my goals for the year. Go to the Temple once a week and I want to work on taking some of my own family names as well.
Happy!
"I know your lives are busy. I know that you have much to do. But I make you a promise that if you will go to the house of the Lord, you will be blessed; life will be better for you."
Gordon B. Hinckley

11 comments:
Awesome commitment, that will bring much joy, peace and blessing. We get up at 3:30 in the morning, get ready and leave by 4:20, drive 1 1/2 hours, serve all day then that long home, by this time of night, I am a zombie but very happy! I sang in the dedication of the Bountiful Temple, Pres. Hinkley spoke and said, this temple has been given you at no cost to you, your part is to attend! Loved your family picture, and you! :)
Girl my husband and I have been discussing going to church. I have to admit I have fallen away. I use to go every Sunday. Now we hardly ever go. It really bothers me not taking the kids to church. I want them to know God. This year we are going to go more.
Lucky you to be so close to a temple. Ours is 4 hours away.
That is a very worthy goal! We all need to take a lesson!!!
Love the new blog!!! I've missed you!!!
Hi Hi HI!!!! I have wondered about you for the past year!! Good to see you back! :)
My goal is to go more, too. I keep thinking once the one that's closer to me is finished, I'll go more often. I should just make the effort though to go more to the one we already have. How many people don't get the chance to go? Very ungrateful of me.
I need to go more, too. Ours is relatively close (an hour away) but it's on a freeway in bad traffic, so I find excuses not to go unless someone else is driving or there's an organized temple night.
You've inspired me to do better!
=)
One of my goals this year is to go more often (ours is so close that I have absolutely no excuse!) and to really learn more from it.
This is a quiet confession that I am making to you. I am scared to return since it has been so long. At the end of 2012 I finally achieved a long awaited goal of getting my temple recommend. I don't want to go alone, but don't know who to ask to go with me. It has been 8 years since I have attended the temple. Last time I went I held up a session by having to go to the bathroom. The temple worker was a little frustrated with me. Since then I have been a little nervous about going back. I need to just go. I like Gordon B. Hinckley's thoughts on going.
Great reminder. I feel guilty looking at ours and not being in it.
I bet the Young Women just love having you there.
I needed this reminder. Thanks!
Post a Comment