Sunday, January 6, 2013

{What I Learned On My Blogging Hiatus - or mostly Hiatus - What the Heck is a Hiatus!?"}

I have the flu.  It stinks.  BUT I did get the flu shot this year for the very first time, so I am just a "little" achy, a "little" coughy, a "little" hoarse, and a "little" bit loving my toilet -   All enough that I stayed home and in bed today.   I can only imagine what it would be had I not gotten the shot????  Who knows. 

So as I write the word "Hiatus" as the title of my blog post it just got a little weird.  The more I looked a the word the wierder it looked - You've all been there.  After a little while the word Hiatus just sounded nasty like looking at a body part from the inside during surgery or something.  Ick.

I did go on a blogging Hiatus of sorts and it was mostly unintended but it happened and I learned some things.  I had been blogging for 5 years on my blog.  I had a good following of people who had become friends mixed in with some family and it was comfortable.  Then Pinterest arrived in the world and I had quite a few things that were pinned from my blog onto Pinterest, which at first I thought was quite a nice compliment - recipes, Brittany's baby shower, some of the quote's I made for Conference but the biggest hit by far was The Firepit - http://bakowbabble.blogspot.com/2011/08/one-with-fire-pit.html.


And, YES, it is an awesome firepit but it has literally been pinned thousands of times now and my other blog still gets 500 views a day or more, just from that Firepit.  I looked this morning before I began to write this and it was 459 so far today and I haven't written on that blog for like 8 months.  Can you say Crazy.  These are people looking at my blog who were not my friends, people I didn't know.    Then we had Eleanor come into our family and that was when I decided, this is not a good thing.  So I took a H-I-A-T-U-S.  I also took anything personal off of that blog and put it in my blog books.

I had already joined Facebook at that point and that has been fun.  I did do some blogging on, this here, new blog, but I kept it private until now.

Some things I have learned:

Facebook can NEVER be your blog or your journal. 

I see SO MANY wonderful things on FB  that people put out there and I always think - I sure hope you are writing this down somewhere that your kids and grandkids will see it because in that respect FB is useless.  It is social media for the now, not a history.   It kills me to think that when someone writes about a special moment with a child or a parent, or some other special memory, that, that is the only place it will ever be.  So my wish is that most people are like me and have some other place to record those memories that, if not put somewhere special, will be lost forever - blog, journal, etc...

I have never been one to put a huge amount of pictures on facebook because really there is no point for me.  I like to put my pictures into book form for myself and my family to enjoy.  Can I just say over Christmas we laughed SO HARD looking at old pictures in the scrapbooks.  It's just fun!

Occasional updates and a picture here and there are plenty and that is what I enjoy about FB - I love being able to catch up with people and see that someone had a baby or moved to a new house or their child is off to college, or telling me that they just saw a good movie, or a bad movie.  I enjoy the small, essential updates and that is all I put on there as well.  (OK unless it is an election year and then I go all crazy - but that will NOT be happening again this year!!  LOL).

It is a fun way to connect but it can never be where you put your history or your personal journey in life.

Not Blogging Publicly for 8 months and transfering to a new blog has allowed me a fresh start.

I admit that there was a point that my blog became a little too all consuming.  I was living my life in part, by always asking myself - What will this experience look like on my blog?  Or, I have to take pictures of this for my blog?  Everything I did was about putting it on the blog, and as much as I feel it is important to record my life and journal and keep a record I remembered during my HIATUS that life is about living!!!  My relationship with my husband is personal and I like it that way.  We are in love, we have a great marraige and a great life, but every single thing we do or say or feel does not need to be written down.  Most things are just us., not for public consumption.  Life is the same way.   MOST TIMES you just need to live life -put the phone away, put the camera away, and go for it - every single moment does not have to be in pictures or words.  I did alot more FREE LIVING on my HIATUS because I wasn't thinking "I need to put this on the blog". 

The other thing is that after blogging for 5 years I was able to clean up and clean out my blog lists a bit.  After 5 years there were people that I just didn't "click" with but you've been reading each others blogs so long you feel kind of obligated.  I like a fresh start to just go to those blogs I love to read and I hope only people who like me will come here.

PICTURES:  

 I found a way to keep my pictures private.  So I am hoping that this blog will not find it's way to Pinterest.  If I feel like I have something to blog that is Pinterest or Sugardoodle worthy (I was also featured on Sugardoodle - same story) I will blog it on my other blog - which is still functioning I just don't us it.


The best lesson I learned from my blog Hiatus is that when you have your priorities in place you get more done and you are happier!

 I know that it is so easy to get caught up in Facebook or Blogging or Instagram or Twittering.  It is human nature to want to have recognition for our thoughts, our pictures, our actions, etc...but it is also dangerous to desire this all the time.  There has to be a balance.  We each have to find our own balance but it all starts with priorities, service, and unselfish living.  I figure that out more and more the older I get and the wiser I become (wink).  Being away from my blog - and living through the experience (I Jest) - showed me that it is not the end all.  The world does not stop rotating, my friends do not disappear, if I am not blogging constantly or sharing every little detail of life on FB I actually get other things done.  It's true!  Life goes on and it is real!!




25 comments:

" Hit It......." said...

I am so excited that you are back. I have really missed you. I have also shared many of the same thoughts. Would you please share how to make your pictures private? Also, do you know how to shut off previous years in your blog without deleting them? I have had a few of my pictures turn up elsewhere and it has left me with a weird feeling. I am even toying with shutting down my blog or making it private. The only problem is that I love the friends that I have made.

Can't tell you how happy I am that you are back.

Ginger said...

Amen! You said it perfectly!

tammy said...

I'm glad you're back. I agree, it can be too consuming. I found that I was living too much in my computer too, and am trying to take a step back. But I do want to blog more and record more for the reasons you said.

wendy said...

well...For me, who I'd like to consider more of as a friend then a "follower", it is so nice to come here and read your thoughts and values, and "takes" on life.
I have missed you here.
I so agree, that the social media becomes so all encompassing that we forget to just Live.
Just LIVE !!!!!!!

I don't text or twitter (cause I don't even have a cell phone) so my only connection with those far away is FB and blogs.
It helps me especially during the long cold winter months.
I have gained so many Wonderful friends through blogging that I value very much.
It is a good idea to look at your blog and see if....am I concerned with "followers"....or people who really care about me and my life.
It is consuming to check back with tooooo many "followers" and read things that truthfully, I could care less about. Some of it I feel is just FLUFF.
I don't do FLUFF.

Interesting that you mentioned on FB we talk of funny little things our kids/grandkids say and there it stays.
For years now, I have a little book for each of my grandchildren that I write down EVERY thing they say or do as we are together, or the little stories their parents tell me that maybe THEY didn't write down. I enjoy doing this.
Then when they get married, I plan to give them their special book of memories.
oh wow, I am rambling.
HI Cheri....welcome back

Julie Harward said...

Before going private, I would have 80 to 100 comments every post..it was ruling my life and time. I am so glad I went private, I have way fewer visitors but that is just awesome. FB to me is just fun time and friends and family connecting. I get mu blog printed into a book each year, then that is my scrapbook, that to me is the reason to blog. Glad you are back, I have always liked you! :)

Heffalump said...

It is always good to reprioritize things.

mCat said...

So glad to have you back. Blogging has certainly slowed down for many of us, and other than journaling, I also don't do as much posting as I used to. Facebook is the quick "down and dirty" hello's, funny quips, and catch up's for people, but the blog is definitely the journal.

And please do share how you can lock down your pictures? I KNOW mine are getting taken and used by others that I would prefer not, but I don't want to not post them for the family that I DO want to see them

Barbaloot said...

Fun to read posts from you again! I feel like I'm on a writing hiatus, but I still love reading when I have the time.

Happy New Year!!

Pedaling said...

I get what you are saying.

I'm glad you are back.

I'd like to know how to lock down the pics.

Pedaling said...

I get what you are saying.

I'm glad you are back.

I'd like to know how to lock down the pics.

Mikki said...

Some wise words here. Thanks for a great post. I was kind of thinking the other day that I should have put my Christmas pics on my blog instead of facebook. You've summed up precisely why. Maybe I'll revisit that decision.
Happy 2013 Cherie! I'm looking forward to reading your posts again. :)

Susan Anderson said...

All of this makes a lot of sense to me!

=)

PS. I find myself posting a lot less since my husband retired because you're right, the living IS more important than the blogging. Having said that, I do love to keep my hand in...and I'm glad you are doing the same.

Jenny Moore said...

Hey Girl-
Sorry to hear you were sick today...that is no fun at all. Guess we'd all better get the flu shot, it might help lighten the effects of the nasty flu.
Everything you said is why I have never embraced FB.
Hiatus is a weird word but you used it well!!!!
Get well soon!!!!

Stef said...

I love that you are back. I too have been doing a lot less blogging...at least in 2012. I just couldn't do it all and when I finally would sit down I just didn't have the energy to write. So I didn't. It has been nice. But it is always good to see an old friend....not as in you are old...but as in one of my favorites!!

karen said...

I'm glad you're back - I enjoy whatever you write about. You have so much JOY! But I know I don't blog as much as I used to either - there's a lot of other things to do, as you said.
I would LOVE to know how you protect your pictures. if you can share that, I'd really appreciate it - I'd especially like to protect the ones of the grand babies. Other than that, welcome back. It's been fun on Facebook but this is a little...MORE. And I enjoy that.

Amy said...

I am so excited you are back! I love your thoughts. The past few years I have not been diligent in blogging, and have learned the same things about living life as opposed to living life on the computer.

Ann Marie said...

Amen. Amen. Amen.

I agree with everything you said.

I need this info on securing pictures also.

I have wondered what to do about blogging. Still wondering about private.. or not private.

We'll see what 2013 holds!

Emmy said...

Good good for you! And good for you for being able to walk away from the publicity of it-- I think many people would crave that and do anything to get it-- I must admit it makes me happy when my pins get hits. But everyone has to do what is right for them.

Glad you have found something that is going to work for you.

gigi said...

Hope you feel better soon, sorry you have been sick.

I thank you for this post and for always setting such a good example for me and so many others.

((hugs))

Jenny Lynn said...

I am delighted to see that you are back. I think some things should be kept private. That is why I took my family blog down and started something different. I am still figuring out as I go along. But, believe it should be fun. I am thinking there are to many ways to network for me to even keep up with. That is why I picked 4 , fb, blogger, pintere!!! I just want it all to be simple.

Did I tell ya yet that I am delighted that you are back blogging again? Welcome Back!!!

Darcie said...

You said it so PERFECTLY!!! I really truly blog for me now, and that was a journey that took many years to figure out! FB has its place, but blogging has my heart. ;-) Glad your back! Back where I can see you anyways. :-)

Small House said...

I have just LOVED looking through your blog. You are a beautiful individual with a heart of gold! I love your enthusiasm for life. Made me happy to read!!

Your granddaughter is precious. I'm so glad you have a great 2012.

Have a wonderful day.
Sandra

The Breckons said...

Pretty sure that's why I stopped blogging ;) Bwahaha ... at least you had a good reason and are still keeping up! The song "You're my Inspiration" just went through my head .... remember that one??? Hope you are feeling better!!! Can't wait to see you!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Hope you are feeling better by now.
"loving" the toilet doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Yes, life does go too fast to be doing something that doesn't "fill your cup". Glad to see you're back.

Facebook is fun, but I do love printing the blog into a book each year.

Nancy Face said...

So glad you're back because I missed you! It just took me a little while to figure out that you really DID come back! Yay!