"Time is the school in which we learn, time is the fire in which we burn ".
Delmore Schwartz
I always love the fresh beginnings of a new year and the chance to write a new chapter in the story of my life.
This year has definately started off with a BANG - not all bad, but enough upset to make me think that maybe we should have skipped the "13" part and just went to 14. I am not really that superstitious but you will catch me knocking on wood from time to time, and not tempting fate if I can help it.
We have personally started off the year with a letter from the IRS on January 3rd claiming that we owe them $2,000 - ugh!. New Health Insurance cards that the pharmacy claims expired in 2005...What???, and a car that broke down a few days ago needing a new clutch and transmission - then the day we got it back from the shop Taylor slid into a curb and more damage so it is back in the shop. Also, Kurke had 2 work trips right off the bat - 2 weeks out of town.
Kurke had to re-do our taxes and we did not owe $2,000 thank goodness. The health insurance cards can be redone, the car has been fixed, and is being fixed again - although that was not a fun price tag, and Kurke is home. Happy New Year.
I will not complain, at all, however, because there has already been so much death. A friend in our ward lost her SIL in a freak sledding accident, 2 people that used to be in our ward passed away, and a dear blog friend lost her very young husband unexpectedly. My heart is sad for all that loss so soon in this new year.
Maybe we should have skipped the "13". I don't know.
There is good though and that is what I hope to focus on the rest of this year. Knock on wood!
Here are some positive things that have happened so far in January:
1. Trent got braces - Our last one in braces - yahooo!!! Have you ever met a kid that thinks braces are "Sexy"? Well you have now. He told the orthodontist that he was excited to get braces because the "ladies will think he is sexy". Where did I get this nut? He cracks me up.
Of course, his mouth hurt for several days after getting the braces so even though it was 2 degrees outside all he wanted were smoothies.
2. Some may not agree with me on this but SNOWWWWW!!! We had the warmest winter on record last year with nearly no snow and it stunk. This year we have had snow and it is sticking around because we have also had coooooollld temps. In fact, we have been in the single digits every morning and the teens during the day for weeks now. I have to admit I love it - probably because I am spoiled and have a garage to park my cars in, lots of hot chocolate (wink), and many craft and sewing projects I am finally finding time for!
Snow around my house and where I commute.
I can watch for hours when it snows super hard like this with really big snowflakes. LOVE
There are still some red berries on the back bushes.
We had a snow day and Trent and (my "other" son) Isaac had a blast.
Cracks us all up when Zoe runs through the snow as fast as she can.
Trent chases her and makes her even more wild.
Then she ends up with Doggie Snowballs!
I spy a snowman and a little buddy snowman.
Those snowmen have been standing in the yard for almost 2 weeks now. Ha Ha
Snowmen love temps below freezing for weeks on end!!
I enjoyed it all from behind my sewing machine looking out my big picture window.
Each YW received her favorite Temple to put in her room.
Beautiful voices!
Top r: Urs our fearless leader doing her musical thing, Middle r: Sister O gave a beautiful talk, Bottom Middle: Welcoming the New Beehives.
I didn't get a good picture of it. But after Sis. O talked the girls each came up and took a balloon and released it into the air which signified giving up bad habits and unworthy things that will keep them from Standing in Holy Places. They drifted off into the air leaving the girls free to pursue Good Things in their lives.
3. New Beginnings - Boy this came up fast on January 9th so we were thinking about it and working on it during Christmas - Gahhhhhhhh! It turned out super nice though.
This is the invitation I created. It includes the theme for this year which I love:
"Stand ye in Holy Places and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come; for behold, it cometh quickly, saith the Lord".
D&C 87:8
Beautiful voices!
Top r: Urs our fearless leader doing her musical thing, Middle r: Sister O gave a beautiful talk, Bottom Middle: Welcoming the New Beehives.
I didn't get a good picture of it. But after Sis. O talked the girls each came up and took a balloon and released it into the air which signified giving up bad habits and unworthy things that will keep them from Standing in Holy Places. They drifted off into the air leaving the girls free to pursue Good Things in their lives.
Not everyone but alot of us! :-D
Snowmen at night.

















17 comments:
I LOVE a fresh snowfall too. I love watching it fall, and then walking out in it. We have had a really mild January for Alberta.
ha ha..Trent is always hysterical. Braces is a great thing for kids these days....totally not made fun of like it was when I was a young girl.
It has been very sad to hear of these losses. My heart hurts for Tammy. One just never knows what any day will serve out to us.
Your Trent made me laugh..."braces are sexy." My ten year old has been telling me lately that he is "sexy."
I am starting to agree with you about "13." Poor Tammy. I am so worried about her. Will you put her name in the temple for me?
btw - love the snow falling on your blog. I can't wait for spring!
I think this is the coldest winter I can remember! I love your optimism! :) Glad the tax and insurance worked out for you! And yes, Tammy's news is devastating! We will have to hope 13 turns a corner and becomes lucky as the year goes on!
I am seriously jealous. We usually get 3 to 4 good snows. This year...nothing. And I am not kidding. We are expecting almost 60 degree weather this week. Grrrrr.
Sigh. SO I enjoy your snow from afar.
I love that you asked me to put Tammy's name in the Temple. You can bet I will when I go tomorrow!
Looking at all of your snow makes me shiver (as I reach to turn on the heater), but I must admit that it is beautiful.
There really is so much negative news that bombards us daily I think it is very wise of you to focus on the positive. Thanks for reminding me of the good things in life.
It is good to see you back blogging, I have missed you.
I don't re-call it ever being this cold for this long. I would totally support skipping right over 13. There has been some great sadness, heart break, and illness already. Can I blame it on the cold weather? Like you I am working on keeping my attitude a positive one.
As I scrolled over your post, a little box appeared asking me not to steal your photos. Which I promise I would never do. How did you get that on your blog? I want one. (I am still figuring out how to scroll using a laptop)
I have always hated winter and snow. But for some reason, the older I get the more I love it. I have been savoring it this year. I love all the snow we have. I love watching it fall from the coziness of my house. Though we have no snowmen in our yard. I am envious you for that!
Your new beginnings is absolutely beautiful! I am impressed.
However, I think I may want to skip the '13' as well. Focusing on the good things, right? "just keep swimming." :D
So much hard things... :(
I do love all of your snow. We haven't had a good winter in so long and I miss those snowfalls where the big flakes just kind of come down like in a snowglobe. I know that my son would sure like it if he could pull out the sleds and snowboard! Maybe I should ship him up to you to play in the snow with your son! :)
I can't believe you already had your New Beginnings! Wow! I haven't heard of any of our wards here having theirs yet. You guys are on the ball! It looks like it was so nice.
I love those doggie snow balls!
....that almost sounds wrong. lol
I love the happy things you're finding; I have not been too happy with how our year has already started out...lot's of sickies in my house last week and a big car repair bill this week as well; and then Tammy's devasatating news.
It's wise to seek out the good. :)
Loved your post! Have an awesome week!
I love New Beginnings.
And your son is right. His braces are def sexy.
;)
Sorry about the bad and yay for the good.
Snowmen at night is a great picture book. It is one of my son's favorites.
Oh, all the snow play looks magical!
Your New Beginnings looks so beautiful! Our New Beginnings is scheduled for the 4th Wednesday in February, and there have been NO plans discussed for it so far. Strange, huh? But I'm sure we'll have a meeting soon!
((HUGS)) Sorry about the start to your year and the losses you have suffered in your ward.
The snow pictures are so beautiful and you can't get any better than a snow angel!
Well you know I hate this year already, but I try to have faith that something good will come from all of it. I've already seen some blessings. I'm so touched by everyone's comments & emails. I hope this year gets better. Thanks for putting my name in at the temple. I'm touched Wendy would ask for that, too.
I will trade you snow for tornadoes!!!
We just had our New Beginnings oh how I wish Emmy and Meggy could still be in your YW!
Hope that 13 gets better...I guess when you start this bad it can only get better!
Love all the snow pictures, it makes me smile!
Miss you lots!
yea..Jan sucked! death, and then we also got a letter from the IRS saying we owed $..Id like the year to start over again, feb aint much better..but the bright side is the sun is out!
Post a Comment